England Visa Information

Since prehistoric times, the British Isles have attracted visitors and this hasn't changed now that travelling to England is so much easier than it was then. Thousands of people visit Great Britain every year. People come on holidays and business trips, they come to visit family, to attend sporting events, or they come to study. Many come to work or to stay.

This page gives England visa information for people wishing to come to England as a visitor. Different rules apply if you wish to study in the United Kingdom or work here.

Every person entering the United Kingdom must present a valid passport. Some visitors also require a visa to enter the country. As a visitor, you may stay in England for up to 6 months. You must leave the country at the end of your stay and you must have adequate means to support yourself during your stay.

You do not need a visa if:

  • you hold a United Kingdom passport
  • you hold a passport issued by another country in the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA)
  • you hold a passport issued by Switzerland

If none of these points apply to you, then please check with your travel agent or the British Embassy or Consulate in your home country if you need a visa to enter the United Kingdom.

Alternatively, UK Visas and Immigration, a part of the Home Office, will be able to help with up-to-date information and the relevant forms. They deal with all aspects of coming to the UK, whether you want to spend a holiday, study or come here to work.

You can access their website by clicking here.

As a traveller, you can find out:

  • whether you need a visa to enter the UK based on your circumstances and travel plans
  • what documentation you need to bring with you
  • for how long your visa will be valid
  • how to apply for a visa online
  • the cost of a visa application

This website will also tell you what you must do if you want to study or work in the United Kingdom.

Return from the England Visa Information page to more Travel Tips